family law specialists

Call 04 891 0500

Separation & divorce

With a team that has experience ranging from 1-30 years we are well positioned to help and advise you on all legal aspects of separation, divorce / marriage dissolution and domestic violence. We can help, get in touch ...

Separation advice 

Separation and divorce - Rachael Dewar LawSeparating can be traumatic and the list of issues to sort out can seem overwhelming. We will help you with immediate care arrangements for children, financial support and how your property is likely to be divided.

Knowing your legal rights from the beginning will also empower you to make the best decisions for your future. Whether you are married, in a civil union or de-facto relationship we have the expertise to help get your life back on track as soon as possible.


Domestic violence

If you have been a victim of domestic violence then we can give you advice and help you urgently apply to a Judge for a protection order to safeguard you and your children.

On the other hand, we can also help you respond if a protection order has been made against you.


Divorce / dissolution

A divorce is called a 'dissolution' here in New Zealand. Having your marriage or civil union dissolved is usually a straightforward process if both parties are in agreement. Once you have been living apart for two years we can guide you through the steps you need to take to formally dissolve your marriage. We can also help iron out any issues that you might not have resolved by then.

If you need our input with childcare arrangements or relationship property division let us know so we can help.


Relationship property

Usually relationship property, what used to be called matrimonial property, is divided equally but there are some very important exceptions. Take advantage of our many years of experience dealing with all aspects of this area including property owned by family trusts and the division of business assets. 

Call upon our prompt and realistic advice to help you negotiate the very best result and allow you to focus on the future.

Contracting out agreements

These agreements are often referred to as ‘pre-nups’ and have become very popular. Many couples are deciding to have things in place just in case life does not quite go according to plan. They are not only useful for new relationships but for those who have been together for a while as well. We will tell you how the law stands at present and show you how a ‘Contracting Out Agreement’ can safeguard your property for you and your children, within existing and previous relationships.

We would suggest the sooner the better as you would be surprised at how quickly a new partner becomes entitled to half your property.

Spousal maintenance

Claims for spousal maintenance are increasingly common. These claims are separate to child support and often go to court. We have recent and extensive expertise in advising people seeking maintenance or opposing these claims.

To see if we can help you contact Rachael Dewar
t - 04 891 0500
f - 04 891 0503

Level 9, 38-42 Waring Taylor Street, Wellington
PO Box 5786, Wellington 6145

Copyright 2021 by Dewar Law /